Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Irresponsible Giving?

Crazy. She seemed crazy. Parking my car at the Toledo, Ohio rest station next to hers was a mistake. She was frantically rummaging through her bags in her car, tossing a few of them out her car door unto the pavement.

Fixing his eyes on her, my passenger questioned, "What's going on here?"

I glanced over, inwardly groaning, "I don't want to get involved. Desiring a quick journey to Michigan and back to Pennsylvania before the blizzard arrived was my goal. Periodic visibility issues due to frozen wiper fluid was enough, no more problems needed.

However, I dutifully walked behind my car to ask, "Are you okay?"

"No! No. I am not okay." She quickly responded. "Where are you going? I may need to ride with you! I don't have my wallet, my license, my I.D." Holding up a neatly folded 20$ she added, "All I have is my emergency 20."

Inwardly my groans grew. I didn't want to add crazy lady to my passenger list. We had 400 more miles of driving.

Inside the restroom, I continued the inner pout, "God I don't want to get involved. I want to get home! You know my needs. Never-the-less please give me your heart."

My mind recalled weeks before giving 8$  to a man in Puerto Rico and being called a fool for believing the ridiculous story. Certainly we must be wise with our money. 

Walking back to the car, my passenger asked,"Would a 20 help her?

Visiting from Haiti, believing he's God's agent, he lives life watching for giving opportunities.  I impatiently respond, " I don't know. I am trying to discern."

Returning to the ram-shackled car, I walked around surveying the inside. Is there a wallet hidden from view? She opened the back hatch: bursting soda cans, and a dog cage. No wallet.

Out of my mouth comes, "Tell you what, I will fill up your car with gas." We drive over to the filling station. Filling up her car, I pay the bill.  She puts a pad of paper in my hand. "Please write your address."

Joyless, I imagine my assistance aiding her in some hidden addiction.

Driving away onto the highway I mention to my passenger, "She needs $25 more dollars to make it home." I fold a 5 and a 20 into my coat pocket.

Hours later we enter Pennsylvania stopping at the another station and eating a light supper. Guess who we see as soon as we exit the building?

Yep! It's the crazy lady with her $20 bill swinging in her hand she exclaims excitedly, "I'm going to take my emergency 20 and see how far I can go! I just got off my cell with my sister. She can't believe there are people like you! I must have known you in another life."

My 6'6" passenger gazed at her with a booming bass voice he said, "My sister." Putting his hand on my shoulder he continued, "My dear sister here is a servant of The Most High God.  She gives to you in the name of Jesus." 

Out of my pocket I take the $20 and put it into her hand, "You are going to need this in order to make it home."

Cringing I ponder have I gone nuts? Why am I so naive? I just gave a stranger over $55!

Several days later a letter from New Jersey arrives. Inside were two crisp $50 bills with a note, "even though I am unemployed I wanted to send this thank you for your help."

Finally joy entered my soul as crazy laughter rang out of my mouth.

(Thanks Harry Jarrett for title.)

No comments:

Post a Comment