I saw my dad the other day during a cycling session in the YMCA, it's one of those 45 minute classes where you sit or stand on a stationary bike burning 500 calories as the instructor says, "Add resistance, go! Make the hill. Down the hill. Take it to 35 mph. Keep the pace. Stand up for 15, in the saddle for 15, up for 15. Add on!"
Are you sweating yet?
As a class we were climbing a hill of resistance, each of us with muscles twitching, (<<< ahem >>> my legs were burning!) I closed my eyes. In my mind I saw a finish line. Surprising me my dad was waiting, standing tall at 6 foot 4. I heard him yelling for me, "Becky! You can do it." Beside him was Aunt Florence and Aunt Eleanor, even his Mom, my Grandma was there, right behind the yellow ribbon stretching over the finish line.
My eyes fixed on them. A multitude was joining in the encouragement. Spinning faster my eyes still shut, sweat dripping, I wondered, "What are you all doing here? Am I going to die while in spinning class?" I reached the top of the hill thinking, "I made it!"
Opening my eyes vanished the cheering section. Yet encouragement remained.
The episode reminded me of a paragraph from the New Testament:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Can't wait to see them again!
I feel that same cloud, Becky. My mother, my Aunt Irene, my grandparents (on both sides)...all leading me on, encouraging me from the stories of the past, and putting before me a hope for the future.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing!