Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Secret Garden

Psst. I have a secret. Not a bad creepy secret. Its the type of secret you can't wait to tell a best friend. Or better yet a secret you can't wait to have them experience. Thursday I took a hike down to Shenk's Ferry Wildflower Preserve. Every spring, before the tree leaves unfold, the blooms open for a few short weeks giving bursts of varied colors from jungle green, muted pinks, to deep blue. For flower labelers the Trillium, Trout Lilly, Dutchman Breeches, Virginia Bluebells are flourishing. Invitingly beautiful, I sought my hand at clicking the camera. The flower on the left is a Trout Lilly, named for its speckled trout-like leaf. This little flower is easily overlooked due to its varied movement. No it doesn't run away! In the morning and evening the blossom closes tightly. Late morning it begins the show of magenta stamen, sort of like sticking out a red tongue, by afternoon the blossom curls completely backward.


Trout Lilly
Next up are some fiddle head ferns, I've heard black bears enjoy this as  a tasty treat. Basically string bean-ish, I've eaten the less hairy variety or perhaps one could say, I've chewed and chewed on it. Eventually it was swallowed.  


Fiddle Head Ferns
Every time I walk in the Garden new things are learned, for fellow explorers eagerly share, "Did you see the red Trillium by the stream?"

(Nope, never seen red ones, only white.)

"How about the Hepaticus, named due to its liver shaped leaves, by the tree trunk?"

(Yep! I know exactly where to find it.)

At the end of the mile is a tunnel with cool water running just waiting to cool off your feet. The Secret is out.

Dutchman Breeches named for its similarity to pants on a clothes line.
Trillium

Tunnel ending


No comments:

Post a Comment